1. Evaluation of Sewage Facilities. The applicant/developer shall submit the information required by this Section for review to ensure that the proposed method of sewage collection, treatment and disposal is feasible and is consistent with the Smithfield Township Sewage Facilities Plan prepared under the terms of Act 537 of the Commonwealth of Pennsylvania. The preliminary plan must indicate that each proposed lot, dwelling or building will be serviced by an appropriate sewage system, thereby avoiding the necessity of major revisions of the plan at the final plan stage. For individual on-lot systems, a lot-by-lot evaluation is required.
2. Private Sewage Disposal System, on Lot.
A. If a sanitary sewer system is within five thousand (5,000) feet of the proposed subdivision or land development, the Board of Supervisors shall require the applicant/developer to provide sewage facilities to connect to this system where practical and shall prescribe the procedures to be followed by the applicant/developer in connecting to the system.
B. If public sewer facilities are not available, the applicant/developer shall provide for sewage disposal on an individual lot basis according to the rules, regulations, terms, definitions and conditions of the individual sewage disposal system application and certification procedure for Monroe County, Pennsylvania.
C. The dimensional location of the on-lot sewage system, the well, and isolation distances must be shown on the plan prior to the issuance of a building permit.
3. Development applications not requiring revisions to the Official Sewage Facilities Plan. All plan submissions will require revisions to the Official Sewage Facilities Plan of the Township unless the Pennsylvania Department of Environmental Protection (DEP) determines that a revision is not needed, based upon the criteria established in 25 Pa.Code, Chapter 71 for planning module exceptions. Approval of the proposed sewage facilities plan module exemption by the Pennsylvania Department of Environmental Protection shall be a condition of final subdivision or land development plan approval by the Township.
4. Applications for Revisions to the Act 537 Plan.
A. In order to be deemed a complete application, any application for preliminary subdivision or land development approval which requires a revision or exemption to the Official Township Sewage Facilities Plan (Act 537 Plan) must be accompanied by a duly completed Department of Environmental Protection Sewage Facilities Planning Module. Such planning module shall also meet all the requirements contained in 25 Pa.Code, Chapter 71, Subchapter D, Official Plan Requirements for Alternative Evaluations.
B. Such application and planning module shall meet all the procedural and content requirements of 25 Pa.Code, Chapter 71, §§71.52 and 71.53, including the requirement that they be accompanied by the comments on the planning module of the Monroe County Planning Commission. Evidence that the sewage facilities planning module has been before these agencies for sixty (60) days without comment shall be sufficient to satisfy this requirement.
C. The Township shall review and act upon the requested revisions in accordance with the requirements and criteria set forth in 25 Pa.Code, Chapter 71, §71.53, and may refuse to adopt a proposed revision of its Official Sewage Facilities Plan for new land development for reasons including, but not limited to, the following:
(1) The plan is not technically or administratively able to be implemented.
(2) Present and future sewage disposal needs of the area, remaining acreage or delineated lots are not adequately addressed.
(3) The plan is not consistent with the Township land use plans and ordinances, this Chapter or other ordinances or plans controlling land use or development.
(4) The plan is not consistent with the comprehensive sewage program of the Township as contained in its Official Sewage Facilities Plan.
D. When the Township refuses to adopt a proposed revision to the Official Sewage Facilities Plan, it shall state the reasons for the refusal and forward a copy of this statement to the person making the submission and to the Department of Environmental Protection.
E. When the Township adopts the proposed revisions to the Official Sewage Facilities Plan, the Township shall forward the proposed revisions to the Department with the information required by 25 Pa.Code, Chapter 71, §71.52. Adoption of the proposed revisions of the official plan shall be by resolution.
F. Approval of the proposed sewage facilities plan revision by the Pennsylvania Department of Environmental Protection shall be a condition of final subdivision or land development plan approval by the Township.
5. Requirements for Final Plan Approval. No final plan shall be approved for any subdivision or land development until satisfactory evidence has been presented by the applicant/developer to the Township that the SEO and/or the Pennsylvania Department of Environmental Protection have determined that the lots proposed for subdivision are generally suitable for on-lot septic systems.